Tuesday 1 January 2008

Blogger at last!

What better time to start my blog than on New Years Day. It isn't exactly a resolution... just something that I've at last got round to after putting it off for ages thinking it was going to be abit scary, but so far so good!





I find reading blogs fascinating and always wonder if the instant impression of the blogger that springs into my mind is anywhere near accurate. My most favourite blogger is MAZAAM AGAIN she and I have been friends in real life for nearly thirty years and reading her blog for the first time was just like chatting with her...now, is that because I know her so well or does everyone get the same picture of her?





2007 was something of a milestone year for me, in September I had my 60th birthday and best of all I retired from work. I'd worked in libraries since I was 17 and always loved the work. After a good long break when our four children were born I went back to work part time in the busy central library in the centre of town gradually increasing my hours to 30 a week. For 19 years it was an excellent place to work with fantastic colleagues, then two years ago there was a massive reorganisation and the job was changed beyond recognition. We all tried to be positive and hoped things would improve even though the new system was disliked by both public and staff. By last year I felt that enough was enough and that at my age I didn't need to feel stressed and miserable every day so, although I'd always thought I would be stamping books when I was a very old lady, I decided to retire as soon as possible. I did just that and love my new life....being a pensioner with a bus pass is very liberating!



Having more time now has given me chance to rekindle my love of knitting, it's something I've always enjoyed but never seemed to actually do very much. Mazaam on the other hand is the most prolific knitter I know...always having some project or other on the go at break time (we worked together) watching her always made me itch to knit...all knitters know that itch! She made me the most beautiful Flower Garden lace shawl in wonderful moss green alpaca which I will always treasure.



I'm hoping to keep track of my knitting on here....not too much to list so far though, a pretty purple cable and bead bag from 25 More bags to knit by Emma King which still needs lining but looks good. Then a holey turquoise mohair scarf...very simple but just right as a holiday project. Next came some red squares for the Children's Society Christmas Stocking appeal. Now I'm working on my first pair of socks in lovely pink/purple Regia, one is done and the second is about half way. Have tried very hard to start my own lace shawl but can't seem to get my head round the clever casting on....mazaam gave me a sneaky masterclass behind the helpdesk at the library when I popped in on new years eve, she says it's easy so I must be abit dim!



As it's now 00.20am I'm not actually starting my blog on New Years Day, but as I started composing it then...I'm going to pretend that I did!

1 comment:

mazzam again said...

Lovely to welcome you to blogland at last! I think your next post should be a copy of your minutes for our first meeting. Both us K's loved them so! M