Thursday 22 May 2008

Farewell to my adored Father-In-Law








Everyone says that nothing can ever prepare you for the loss of a parent...and it's so very true.

Six weeks ago my father-in-law died suddenly at the age of 85. He was so much more to me than simply my father-in-law, I had known him since I was a little girl when he was a Sunday School Teacher and Youth Leader in our church. When I started going out with my husband he welcomed me into their family and very soon became the adored substitute for my own father whom I never knew.

With no father to give me away when I got married Dad was more than happy to step in...I was delighted when he took me down the aisle to marry his son 39 years ago.

We are so glad we took Mum and Dad on holiday to Spain in January, it was a really happy time and so good to spend two weeks all together. With my brother-in-law coming out for one week too it meant that Dad was able to enjoy having both his sons around at the same time for a change and he thoroughly enjoyed that.

In an earlier post I promised a photo of them both on their mobility scooters...these were a constant source of amusement for us and not a little anxiety, there were some scary moments! We had to plan routes with military precision to make sure there was access but it was well worth it because of the freedom it gave them to get about. This photo was taken on the day they celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary!

We can't really say we've lost him, because of his strong Christian faith and ours too we know where he is and that we will see him again. It's just that he's not here and we miss him so much. He was a wonderful husband, dad, grandpa and gramps...he loved his family totally and was never happier than when we were all together. We loved him totally too and always will!

2 comments:

mazzam again said...

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man who was loved and respected by many.

Cinders said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Father-in Law. What a lovely tribute you've paid him.

You asked about my Jaywalker patern. I downloaded it from Ravellry its the original pattern from Grumperina top down. Hope you find it